What is a Wonderbag?
It really is very simple. The Wonderbag is a heat-retention cooking bag.
A Wonderbag is an insulated bag in which people can cook anything from meaty stews or vegetable curries to simple rice and soups. You heat up your pot of food on the stove, kick-starting the cooking process, and then place it in the Wonderbag.
Wonderbag's clever insulating properties allow food that has been brought to the boil to finish cooking while in the bag without the use of additional energy. So, families can cook appetising hot meals, while saving energy - and money. It also means less time tending cooking food – time that can be better spent looking after children, earning an income or doing essential chores.
As of June 2012, 500K Wonderbags have been distributed throughout South Africa, set to improve the lives of over 2 million people, made possible by carbon offsets.. With key partnerships in place, we hope to see that figure rise to at least 5 million in the next few years.
Wonderbag has many benefits…
- It can reduce a family's fuel usage up to 30% - saving money and easing poverty
- It reduces CO2 emissions
- It reduces toxic fumes which means less respiratory problems and other diseases, particularly in children
- It reduces accidents in the kitchen, because stoves are used less
- It reduces time spent cooking, giving more time for child-care and other activities
- It saves precious water. When the pot is insulated in a Wonderbag at a fairly constant temperature, less evaporation occurs, so less water is needed
- It saves food. 20% of all staple food in Africa is burned, due to pots being placed on open fires and unregulated stove tops. With the Wonderbag no burning happens
We're not just about Wonderbags sold,
we're about Wonderbags used.
Sarah Collins, Wonderbag founder
What can Wonderbag do for you?
Want to know more?
Lets have a Wonderbag lunch